Saturday, October 22, 2011

A New Distance for Me....

As the temperatures dropped this week, my miles went up!  This morning, I normally would have started my day with the girls running our training run, but today was a continuation of a 24 year tradition.  My mom and I have attended a fall festival in a local little town since I was a kid, I've only missed twice for a funeral and a dear friend's wedding.  We started taking my little one a few years ago and today we continued that tradition.  One thing was missing, my Nanny who hasn't been able to go with us for the last couple of years.  We were there when the sun came up and joined with the die hard attendees in looking for what was new, it was a great morning, I'm certain we would have made Nanny proud.

Back to running, my 5 mile run was scheduled today.  I left something out about this morning, it was soooooo cold here!  This flip flop wearing Florida girl is not a big fan of cold weather, so when it came down to it, my five mile run happened this afternoon when it was closer to 70 and not close to 46 (as it was this morning.)  I was honestly happy about that.

The first couple of miles were interesting, as my left foot continued to slap the ground a bit, but by mile 4, things were moving along nicely!  I really found a great groove and felt fantastic that last mile.  My hubby took great care of me by bringing water out to the mailbox for me, which I was glad to swing by and pick up before the halfway point.

Some things I now appreciate about running in the morning: less traffic, no people watching me, cars have headlights turned on so I don't almost cross the road in front of them, I'm not as concerned about pets being out and about ready to chase me down.  My morning runs really give me that peaceful solitude.

It surprises me sometimes in those wee hours of the morning what great conversations I get to have with my heavenly Father.  There are times I'm asking for His help to make it around the next mile, other times I'm praying for friends that I know are out and about doing the same thing, and most times I'm asking Him to direct my path for the day ahead.  Then I get to the cool down part, when I'm grateful, oh so grateful, that I have the little bit of ability I do have to get up and run.  I get to appreciate the stars that are still out, over the summer it was the beginnings of a beautiful sunrise that would end my runs.  And amazingly my running mix shuffles to just the right songs just when I need them or can appreciate them the best.  I just love it!

I lucked out today, found some long running pants (on clearance) that should work for those cooler temps in the morning and found these reflecter slap bands that I'm going to try in the mornings.  This will save some batteries in my little flashlight that I feel the need to turn on every time a car comes within a mile of me.  Safety first! 

I hope everyone is enjoying this fantastic fall weather! 

No comments:

Post a Comment