Saturday, October 1, 2011

Going the Distance

The last week of running has been interesting.  Last weekend I was out of town at a retreat at the beach, a few of us made sure we were up early and ran anyways, nice 30 minute run with cool down on the beach it was beautiful!  Easy paced run, we had a busy day ahead of us and didn't get much sleep the night before.  (I know, excuses.)

Monday's run was another story.  I just knew I was slower, I kept pushing myself but really didn't feel I was getting any speed put in there.  Surprise, surprise, surprise, I had two miles under 10 minutes/mile which is better than I did during the 5k.  My goal for next weekend's 5k is to pace right at 10 min/mile and finish in 30 minutes or less.  I have to remind myself, I have only been running since July.  I read so many running blogs and so many of these folks make me look like a slow little tortoise. 

Wednesday wasn't bad and I walked a bit this week.  Today was fun day, trying something new!  As a group of us are beginning to train for a half marathon (The Disney Princess 1/2) at the beginning of 2012, we've agreed that intervals are likely best for us.  Today we were doing 4 miles and putting intervals in, you have to start some time.  While we likely could have ran 4 miles, I think I could continue to think that every mile that gets added and end up injuring myself or something.  Do I want to be able to run the entire thing, well of course I do.  Do I want to end up injured and doing nothing?  NO!!!

We had a nice brisk start to the morning, only 64 degrees this morning and I was cold before we started running.  (Yes, Florida born and raised and when it gets below 70 I feel the need for warm clothes.)  We were ready to go, got started and everything went well.  Nothing stellar, I think it's going to take a bit to get the pace right for the walking intervals and the running pace to make sure everything ends up right.  I'm getting a little obsessive about my pace, which isn't a good thing. 

Another area I am absolutely enjoying is the accessory side to running.  I love my Garmin 405cx.  My hubby gave it to me in August for my birthday.  I was so new to running I really had no idea what I was going to do with this little watch that I swore was smarter than I was.  Turns out, that little watch is awesome for all kinds of things!  I found this great little hand size flashlight for my early morning runs that isn't cumbersome and is super bright. 

Then there's the BondiBands!  I love these things!  Living in FL and on a hot muggy morning run, we are talking seriously gross amounts of sweat will end up coming down my face from my hair.  These bands do exactly what they are suppose to do. 

I love great accessories.  I could go on and on about my shoes (Asics) and my favorite socks (New Balance), but I'll save that for another time.  This week I'm working on my pace for the 5k next weekend.  I just want to make sure I'm seeing improvement.  I will never be the fastest, but I just want to improve. 

Healthy Habit update, I haven't had a soda since I gave them up over 2 weeks ago.  Funny, I really don't miss them.  It's October, so I need to add another "healthy habit" to my routine.  Any suggestions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment